Walking a Winding Path

"We walk a winding path." --Gabriel Marcel

Name:

A celebration of the sacred, of life, of compassion and generosity-- and of strength and resilience in the face of adversity-- in the tradition of the great Native American mythos. An invitation to travel the Coyote Road, which, in Native American legends means to be headed to a wild, unpredictable, and transformative destiny. A companion to those who follow the path of the Trickster, which is neither a safe nor comfortable way to go-- but one abundant with surprise and adventure.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Being Stoic

People often ask me how I'm doing (or, as we say in Philadelphia, "how're ya dewin' ?"), and I'm glad for their interest and their care. Most of the time, though, the question sort of pulls me toward the center. That is, there is a wide range of things I may be feeling or thinking at any given point in time. But when I am asked how I am, I usually am able to give a more "neutral" or even-toned response, even when things might be screaming bloody murder inside me!

It is sort of like having a NASCAR race going on, but being able to press the "mute" button so others can't hear the noise!

This may be why one person said to me the other day, "You sound like you are taking this all pretty Stoically..." At the time, that sounded to me both absurd and like a reasonable goal: Would that I could be Stoic, I thought.

Then I saw the following on a license plate holder of a new black Mercedes: "What would Marcus Aurelius do?" Ah, I thought, is it easier to be Stoic if one drives a new Mercedes? Or is a Mercedes a "reward" somehow of Stoicism?

Anyway, I knew my cynicism and fiscal insecurities were showing, so I did what any Web-savvy thinker would do, I Googled "Marcus Aurelius!" From his Meditations I gleaned the following for our mutual edification:

"We are made for cooperation, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of upper and lower teeth. To act against one another then is contrary to nature." [2.1]

"You will give yourself relief, if you do every act of your life as it it were the last, laying aside all carelessness and passionate aversion from the commands of reason, and all hypocrisy, and self-love, and discontent with the portion that has been given to you." [2.5]

"If you work at that which is before you, following right reason seriously, vigorously, calmly without allowing anything to distract you, but keeping your divine part pure, as if you might be bound to give it back immediately; if you hold to this, expecting nothing, fearing nothing, but satisfied with your present activity according to nature... you will be happy. And there is no man able to prevent this." [3.12]

"Take away the complaint, 'I have been harmed,' and the harm is taken away." [4.7] (I have to say, in my present circumstances, I especially liked this one! Would that both the One who would be my enemy and I could do this!)

And finally this on "facing death:" "You have embarked; you have made the voyage; you have come to the shore: get out." [3.3]

OK, so I don't know whether I can ever be THAT Stoic! But I have at least one answer to the question, "What would Marcus Aurelius do?" The answer is: Be calm.

I can aim for that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home