Walking a Winding Path

"We walk a winding path." --Gabriel Marcel

Name:

A celebration of the sacred, of life, of compassion and generosity-- and of strength and resilience in the face of adversity-- in the tradition of the great Native American mythos. An invitation to travel the Coyote Road, which, in Native American legends means to be headed to a wild, unpredictable, and transformative destiny. A companion to those who follow the path of the Trickster, which is neither a safe nor comfortable way to go-- but one abundant with surprise and adventure.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Holy Blues

Psalm 137 begins, "By the rivers of Babylon-- there we sat down and there we wept when we remembered Zion." And it goes on to ask: "How could we sing the Lord's song in a foreign land?"

Ah, in my current state of Exile, this psalm has been coming to mind-- and my remembering of it is assisted by the tune Linda Ronstadt set these verses to, some decades ago now... Funny how secular music can make sacred messages all the more memorable!

Anyway, I felt sorrowful yesterday-- hence my silence in this blog... Sometimes it truly IS difficult to "sing the Lord's song," when I feel so far from singing. But I'm learning (again) that sometimes the Lord's song is a "blues," and that's OK, too.

And I'm growing more comfortable, if that is the right word, with this whole notion of being in Exile. Not that it is a pleasant state! But if I'm remembering my Biblical history well enough, it was when Israel was in Exile that Judaism grew spiritually. Much of what we've come to recognize as the Hebrew Scriptures were written during the time of Exile, precisely "by the rivers of Babylon," maybe watered by tears, and nourished on fears that what made Judaism distinct as both a religion and a way of life would be lost to forgetfulness and assimilation. Again if my memory serves, a great deal was accomplished in Exile. Judaism gained its basic expression then, and also experienced God in a way that perhaps they would not have: God's presence in a foreign place.

Ok, so maybe in my sorrowing I am not comfortable, really. But maybe hope is only as comforting as it can be. And maybe hope linked to my determination to make this a productive time in my life keeps me from despair. And maybe God's strengthening Presence gives power to my determination-- and maybe God's tender mercy provides an arm over my shoulder and an embrace when I'm feeling sad, as I was yesterday.

One thing's for certain: I've not "hung up [my] harp" on any "willow!" If there's a song to be sung, I want to sing it. Even if it means singing the blues...

Thank you, God, for giving me many ways to sing about your abiding Presence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home