Walking a Winding Path

"We walk a winding path." --Gabriel Marcel

Name:

A celebration of the sacred, of life, of compassion and generosity-- and of strength and resilience in the face of adversity-- in the tradition of the great Native American mythos. An invitation to travel the Coyote Road, which, in Native American legends means to be headed to a wild, unpredictable, and transformative destiny. A companion to those who follow the path of the Trickster, which is neither a safe nor comfortable way to go-- but one abundant with surprise and adventure.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Streets

One of the gifts of my friendships is that my friends attend many different churches-- and other places of worship. From one of their church's newsletters come the following. It is a kind of a parable I'd heard before but was told it was by "Anonymous." Following that old expression from the '60's that "Anonymous was a woman" (to which I add: "and Unknown, a man..."), I was not surprised to find out that Portia Nelson wrote this. She called it, "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters."

Chapter One: I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost... I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two: I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in the same place. but it isn't my fault.

Chapter Three: I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in... it's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

Chapter Four: I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

Chapter Five: I walk down another street.

Ah, yes, there is wisdom in this! And I readily admit: one of my problems has been finding "another street" to walk down! Oh, the pitfalls on my well-worn paths!

The best I can do today is pray: "I am ready! Lord, show me another way!"

May you, too, be blessed to be one of the People of The Way.

1 Comments:

Blogger TRXTR said...

Is it Kosher to comment on my own blog? Just to pass this on! A comment from a friend: Why not tell it differently and in one chapter: "I walk down the street. I find a hole. I fill it in. That way, no one falls in it!"

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home