Walking a Winding Path

"We walk a winding path." --Gabriel Marcel

Name:

A celebration of the sacred, of life, of compassion and generosity-- and of strength and resilience in the face of adversity-- in the tradition of the great Native American mythos. An invitation to travel the Coyote Road, which, in Native American legends means to be headed to a wild, unpredictable, and transformative destiny. A companion to those who follow the path of the Trickster, which is neither a safe nor comfortable way to go-- but one abundant with surprise and adventure.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

In Memoriam: Suzanne Henning

Yesterday, July 14, was the funeral for a woman at whose marriage I had officiated in November, 1997. Suzanne was born in Lebonon, and had contracted polio at an early age; she wore a leg brace. After coming to this country, she worked with persons with disabilities. The very manner in which she lived was an encouragement to them. When she met her husband to be, Charles, it was a turning point in her life. Charles is a gentle, cerebral man who was smart enough to follow his heart to Suzanne. (I remember that his mother was not too pleased at the time...) Against medical advice, Suzanne and Charles had two sons, now 6&4. What she died of, I do not know. All I know is that Charles called me hours before the funeral to let me know what happened. I went to the cemetary and found the chapel full of people! It was a Marionite Christian ceremony, part in Arabic, part in English. The priest offered his words of consolation, and many of Suzanne's family and friends spoke. Her husband, Charles, offered some words as well, and the following poem:

WHAT ELSE AM I TO DO?

You ask me
"Why do you love me?"

I am silent.
For how am I not to love you?

You loved me,
When I did not know
How to love myself.

You saw in me
What I was afraid of
Was not true.

You held me
And I was home for the first time.

I would never have done
All the things I was afraid of,
If not for your strength.

You gave me my life
And my family.

I ask you,
"What else am I to do?
If I am to not love you?"

--Charles Henning
In loving memory of my wife
and the mother of my children.
She was the light in my heart.

SUZANNE KORDAHI HENNING
February 13, 1962 -- July 8, 2006

Please remember Charles and their sons, Christopher and Andrew, in your prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home